Thursday, December 13, 2007

SHORT FEATURE: STOP DRIVING US CRAZY



If you thought those sexual predator coloring books and comics recently put out by the Archdiocese of New York were an, um... interesting approach to a real problem, then you might want to check out this nifty little cartoon from 1961 produced by the General Board of Temperance of the Methodist Church involving an irate Martian, reckless drivers, and the Voice of God. (MARS NEEDS... THE RIGHT OF WAY!)

I have to say, given my own peculiar tastes, I prefer this cartoon over something like the (take a breath before reading) DOCUMENT OF THE PONTIFICAL COUNCIL FOR THE PASTORAL CARE OF MIGRANTS AND ITINERANT PEOPLE: GUIDELINES FOR THE PASTORAL CARE OF THE ROAD issued by the Vatican on June 19, 2007. (Remember, I listed their 10 commandments of driving at the end of my review for Eat My Dust) At least I made it through the entire cartoon.

But as the guy who just spent days typing a compare and contrast essay on The Incarnation and a paper mache brain hanging from a string, I'm certainly not going to be the one to question the wisdom of using stuff like coloring books and cartoons to teach the faith. As to whether the Catholic Church, or the Methodists, or any other Christian body really needs whole committees devoted to churning this stuff out, I suppose that's debatable. (There are plenty of goofballs like me willing to do it without using collection plate money.) But the Catechism does say that "Within modern society the communications media play a major role in information, cultural promotion, and formation. This role is increasing, as a result of technological progress, the extent and diversity of the news transmitted, and the influence exercised on public opinion... It is necessary that all members of society meet the demands of justice and charity in this domain. They should help, through the means of social communication, in the formation and diffusion of sound public opinion." So maybe the Church does have some responsibility to participate in these kinds of things in an official capacity after all.

That being said, I still cringe in anticipation of the day we see the first official release of a Vatican sponsored game for the X-Box. I am curious to see what they name the committee though.

2 comments:

D. G. D. Davidson said...

I don't know about the committee, but the game itself will be entitled THE PONTIFICAL VIDEO GAME INVOLVING THE ERADICATION OF BAD GUYS BY A GOOD GUY WHO IN THE PROCESS ACQUIRES DIVERS WEAPONS AND CYBERNETIC ARMOR UPGRADES IN A POLYGONAL ENVIRONMENT.

EegahInc said...

I'm beginning to have the sneaking suspicion that they have a committee in charge of naming committees.