Thursday, January 31, 2008

INTERMISSION: A MEME AND A TEASE

THE MEME

While the projectionist threads up Dark Star it seems as good a time as any to take care of the latest meme. This time around Will Cubbedge from Fish In A Barrel has tagged me with one of the various book memes floating around.

The Rules

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

Believe it or not, the book closest to me at this time is the Videohound's Golden Movie Retriever. Honest. I'm not lying. Weeding out the credits, the fifth full sentence on page 123 starts the review of Blade Master.

"In this sequel to "Ator the Fighting Eagle," O'Keeffe as Ator is back as the Blade Master. Ator defends his people and his family name in a battle against the "Geometric Nucleus": a primitive bomb. His quest leads him and his small band of men to the castle of knowledge. D'Amato used the pseudonym David Hills."

Sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately I can't locate a copy of Blade Master from my usual sources. Instead, in honor of this meme, I'll post a review of the first movie, Ator The Fighting Eagle, when it becomes available. Inexplicably, it has a very long wait on Netflix, which means the world could end before it ever reaches my house.

Speaking of which, since I'm usually near the end of the line for these things, I'll tag Will Smith, the last man on Earth... to not have been tagged by this particular meme.

THE TEASE

The second closest book to me when I received this meme has the following lines starting with the fifth sentence on page 123.

"When I modeled her, I thought that she would be mine forever-but others came and admired her-others like you and your friend." The axe sliced through the air, missing Arthur and striking the brick wall. Sparks flew as the smashing contact was made."

Just what tome contains that masterpiece of prose will be revealed in a week or two.

7 comments:

D. G. D. Davidson said...

Masterpiece?

The bit of dialogue isn't too shabby, though I would take out the awkward "that," and replace those hyphens with commas, but "Sparks flew as the smashing contact was made" is unforgivable.

EegahInc said...

Sorry if the "masterpiece" thing was misleading. I need to find a font which drips sarcasm when used.

Lydia Cubbedge said...

Wow! You just hit two big coincidences in posting on the meme:

1) While I was opening your post, my wife and I were going back and forth about the MST3K version of "Cave Dwellers"-

"Who is this gentle stranger with pecs like melons and knees of fringe?"

"Ator, Ator, my sweet friend."

2) When the president of CUF first tagged me for the meme, the closest book to me at the moment was my 196? paperback edition of "I Am Legend", which runs a pithy 122 pages and was therefore disqualified.

WAC

EegahInc said...

Mysterious ways, indeed.

D. G. D. Davidson said...

You know, about that Conan the Librarian thing. I just know I saw a Conan the Librarian skit on Reading Rainbow when I was a kid, and I'm pretty sure their version was much funnier. As I remember, that sketch had the opposite of the intended effect because it made me afraid to get a library card because I thought I'd have to deal with Conan. But when I did get a card, I was actually disappointed because it was so much easier than I had imagined.

EegahInc said...

I just missed out on Reading Rainbow, being more of the Sesame Street and Electric Company generation. So, in 1987, when a lot of people were watching the first episode of Next Generation and thinking "Isn't that the guy from Reading Rainbow?", my friends and I were screening a movie called Street Smart and shouting, "Dude, that's the Easy Reader playing a pimp!"

D. G. D. Davidson said...

Reading Rainbow had an entire Next Generation episode where he showed off the Enterprise and his visor and uniform.