Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SHAMELESS PROMOTION

Brent 

I hope everyone will forgive me if I drop slightly out of character for a moment and offer a bit of shameless promotion for an old friend. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending Brent Cash's stateside album release party and snagging a freshly minted copy of How Will I Know If I'm Awake. I'm just getting around to mentioning it because, friend or no friend, I wanted to give  the disc a few spins (and, yeah, I'm talking about vinyl on a turntable) before I recommended it.

So now, with a clear conscience, I can honestly say... holy crap, is this good! I know, given the fact that this blog caters to the rubber monster suit crowd, that a lushly orchestrated Burt Bacharach style pop album might not appeal to everyone's taste. But if you are at all a fan of pop music and appreciate the history of the art form (and I'm talking about going a little further back than The Backstreet Boys), then this is something you'll want to check out. Which isn't to say the album is some nostalgia trip where Brent apes his favorite bands from days gone by. No, this is the work of a mature artist who knows what he wants to say and how to put it into music. His music.

But instead of listening to me gush over the thing, you can hop over to Brent's MySpace page and read a bunch of review snippets from professional critics who know how to gush better than me. (Well, they get paid for it anyway.) Then head over to the album's website where you can hear some sample clips. Then go buy it. Trust me, if you're looking for something you can pop in and feel the cares of the day melt away, this is the one.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled goofiness.

No comments: