Thursday, March 14, 2013

NOW SHOWING AT A BLOG NEAR YOU

now showing GIF

So, what’s showing around the blogosphere this week? Mostly there’s a lot of buzz surrounding some small event that happened in Rome yesterday. Maybe you heard about it? But if you managed to get stuck in a cave or something and somehow missed out on the big news, then just click on 90% of the links in the sidebar and I’m sure you’ll find a word or two about what transpired.

As for non-pope related happenings, last week the fine folks at Aleteia asked me to tackle two assignments, to watch and review Oz The Great And Powerful (which I actually enjoyed) and to take a look at the phenomenon of Real Housewives (which I… at least took a look at).

Speaking of Aleteia, you may remember that a few weeks ago I reviewed the Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson movie Snitch for them and didn’t hate it. Well, for those who thought I had lost it (I mean those few of you who hadn’t already reached that conclusion before this), it seems Jared Zimmerer over at Fr. Barron’s Word On Fire blog found some good stuff in it also. So I guess that makes two of us who’ve lost it.

But enough of what’s been lost, what about things found? Our pal Robert discovered and passed along an article from The American Chesterton Society on the serious but funny Vincent Price. Be sure to read through to the end for a special treat, an audio recording of Price discussing Chesterton’s thoughts on writing. And John Darrouzet from The Catholic Stand has unearthed some hidden messages for Catholics in Shakespeare movies.

Finally, there’s some things we found, but wish had stayed lost instead. According to the Hollywood Reporter, author Robert Kirkman is expending whatever good will he’s earned from The Waliking Dead by developing a show “set in the world of exorcism”, whatever that means. “The script centers on Kyle Barnes, who has been plagued by possession since he was a child. Now an adult, he embarks on a spiritual journey to find answers, but what he uncovers could mean the end of life on Earth as we know it.” At the same time, director James Marsh is developing The Vatican Tapes, a film “said to be in the same vein of The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby as it follows a series of events that unfold after a tape gets leaked from the Vatican displaying an exorcism that goes wrong.” Call me cynical, but I’m not counting on accuracy in either production when it comes to portraying possession or the Church. Still, we’ll let you know when and if these two projects ever see the light of day.

And with all that to keep you busy (as if researching the new pope wasn’t taking up enough of your time), we’ll leave you until next week. See you then.

2 comments:

Xena Catolica said...

Thanks for the "Oz" review. I haven't actually seen the '39 movie since I was about 10, because when I was 10 I thought Judy Garland was a fat girl who couldn't sing, and why watch it again? So I'm looking forward to this & thinking of reading the books

EegahInc said...

Okay, just keep in mind that, unlike the 39 movie, this one isn't a musical. However, just like the 39 movie, it has paper thin characters and hardly any plot (yeah, I said it). I still liked it though.