Sunday, June 08, 2014

NOW SHOWING AT A BLOG NEAR YOU

Now Showing Marquee 3

Is it uncharitable to enjoy watching terrible things happen to a person? Because in Edge of Tomorrow, which I reviewed for Aleteia this week, Tom Cruise dies many horrible deaths, and I’ve gotta say, I really, really liked seeing it happen. Um, the rest of the movie is okay too. Honest, it’s not just because it caters to my lifelong distaste for its lead actor. Seriously.

Let’s move on, why don’t we? How about a romantic comedy centering on abortion? Doesn’t that sound like a fun night at the movies? The Crescat has gotten wind of Obvious Child, the new movie endorsed by Planned Parenthood and NARAL which follows “an aspiring young comedian, Donna Stern, whose abortion turns into a ‘happily ever after’ love story.” The Crescat’s reaction is about what you would expect.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, which is receiving a month long celebration over at Aspie Catholic. I’m afraid I missed out on the Bronies craze these past few years, but figured some of you out there might be interested. At any rate, it’s gotta be better than the abortion rom-com, right?

One craze I didn’t miss out on was Dungeons & Dragons back in the 80s. Remember all the satanic panic that surrounded the game? Well, it turns out some folks have gotten permission to make a live action version of Jack Chick’s infamous Dark Dungeons tract, and Think Christian has the details and the trailer.

Speaking of classics, Fr. Dwight Longenecker has finally discovered Alfred Hitchcock’s Rope, and likes what he sees. Slightly less classic and much less liked is Pretty Woman, which Elise Hilton at the Acton Institute believes is not really that pretty at all.

And finally, if you’re going to be hanging around the Vatican in a couple of weeks, be sure to check out the fifth edition of the International Catholic Film Festival which is being held from June 18th to the 24th.

That should keep you busy for now. See you soon.

2 comments:

Scott W. said...

You are the guy that introduced me to Camp Blood: The Musical, so when I saw the board game Camp Grizzly I thought of you: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/143096/camp-grizzly

EegahInc said...

I may have to buy that and hold onto it until my son gets old enough to play.