Sunday, February 24, 2019

DAILY CALL SHEET: FEBRUARY 24, 2019


Army of Darkness (1992) Full-on comedy sequel to Evil Dead II has our favorite idiot chosen one, Ash, somehow managing to save the middle ages from dimwitted deadites. TIL: Providence works through unworthy instruments because, well, what else have we humans left it to work with?


Still Voices - The Girl Can't Help It (1956) “If you have to ask what it symbolizes, it didn't.” - Roger Ebert

Dad Rock Daily: Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record (1976) Good Lord, the hits on this thing! Are there many better 70s pop songs than Telephone Line? Laudable Lyrics: The city streets are full of people going nowhere making time.


If you’re suffering through the Oscars like I am (my wife demanded it), then you can amuse yourself by dropping by Catholic Skywalker’s place where he’s discussing the Academy’s Biggest Best Picture Mistakes.


And finally, we watched the latest version of A Star is Born last night and, well, I’ll just put up here what I said on Facebook…
“See, this is where being a movie buff who has seen way too many flicks can work against you. After watching the current take on A Star is Born, my wife was legitimately devastated, and she was obviously not alone. But I was like, ‘Well, that's how A Star is Born always ends, didn't you know that?’ Apparently she did not. So now I have to feel like an inhuman monster because a movie where I knew everything that was going to happen before it started didn't affect me like it did so many others. Sigh.
P.S. I will begrudgingly admit the cutaway to the dog got me a little. Was that actually in the script, Cooper you manipulative S.O.B., or did y'all throw that in on the day of shooting just to make sure you gut punched everyone possible?”
Yes, it’s a remake (of a remake of a remake), and for those of you who weren’t aware of that before going in, I’ll simply tell you the same thing I did my niece…
“Don't feel bad for not being old. Save it for when your girls go see the fifth version of A Star is Born about a washed up video-game streamer who mentors and falls in love with an up-and-coming VR prodigy.”
What? You know that’s exactly how it’s going to be.

4 comments:

Xena Catolica said...

Ah, yes, right now I'm having to hear my teenaged movie nerd's exclamations of outrage over, well, take your pick....

EegahInc said...

Hey, don't get me started on those sound awards :)

Joseph R. said...

I feel like The Artist and La La Land were both clones of A Star is Born, so I was completely uninterested when this year's film came out. I'll probably borrow it from the library or stream it from Netflix eventually.

At least Spider-man won!

EegahInc said...

There are things to recommend in this version, but yeah, it's the same story it's been so many times before. Spider-Man on the other hand was downright, ahem, amazing.