Sunday, June 24, 2007

NOW SHOWING AT A BLOG NEAR YOU



As much as I hate to admit it, there does appear to be other movies besides what you can find at the drive-in or direct to video outlets. And a lot of the nice people on the other side of those links in the sidebar actually watch them. What's that all about? Anyway, since most of these films don't stand much of a chance of making anappearance in these pages, I thought I might occasionally assemble some links to movie reviews from my fellow Catholic bloggers. Let's see what's now showing at a blog near you?

The Sci-Fi Catholic recently took a look at both the early Miyasaki animated classic Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Jet Li's Legend Of The Red Dragon, both which he rates as medium-high in quality. That's a lot of Asian cinema. Urge to watch Mighty Peking Man (again) rising.

The American Papist (not your average Catholic, you know) gives his not-so-average review of the recent blockbuster Spider-Man 3. Why not so average? Well, unlike a lot of other reviewers, he actually seems to have to liked it.

Dadwithnoisykids over at Scorpion Stalking Duck got the chance to see Die Grosse Stille, a documentary on monastery living that doesn't stand a chance of getting anywhere near my home town. Netflix, still one of the best presents I ever got.

Rod Bennett, author of "Four Witnesses", recently posted a series on Pop Typology featuring Christ figures in movies. Not sure you want to jump into an eight part series, then I have only one word for you... Tron.

James at The Daily Brouhaha provides a list of films he considers the most re-watchable. I don't know, I'm not seeing a single rubber monster suit in the whole thing, but you can judge for yourself.

And I would be remiss if I didn't point everyone to a couple of blogs by two guys who frequently post comments on this blog (and also happen to be some of my oldest friends in the world). Their blogs aren't oriented to religious discussion, but I have it from reliable sources (their moms) that they were raised good Catholic boys.

Wm over at The White Whale discussed why he thought John Carpenter's The Thing falls just short of being a classic. When one of my less-than-tactful comments rubbed him the wrong way, he felt the need to write a follow up.

Mr. Doob, author of The (very infrequent might I say) Blog of Doob and certified James Bond fanatic, took upon himself the task of ranking all of the 007 films from best to worst. Your list may vary.

That's it for this time around. I know I probably missed some good reviews out there, but this was kind of a spur of the moment, act on it now or never do it, kind of idea. If I left one out anyone would like to see in the next list, just let me know.

2 comments:

Wm. said...

For the last time, your comment didn't rub me the wrong way! I just didn't know if you were asking or if you already knew the answer. Jeeeeesh.

Oh, and thanks for the mention. Histor the Wise might have followed your link to my blog and entered in my most recent photo-caption contest. One of his suggestions (to be revealed at a later date [although anyone who knows me well enough can probably guess which one]) had me laughing so hard I thought I passed a kidney stone.

EegahInc said...

I'm not touching you! Is this bothering you? I'm not touching you!