Thursday, November 08, 2007

POLL: MONTHLY FILM CLUB













Now that I've managed to scrape up a handful of regular readers, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking part in a monthly film club? Basically we would choose some appropriate upcoming flick off of basic cable (Sci-Fi Channel, TCM, etc.) or even something streamed over the internet (either way, no money would be involved) and everyone could write a short paragraph or two on it (preferably with a religious or philosophical slant). Everyone could e-mail me their comments and at the end of the month I would assemble it all into a single post. Does this sound interesting to anyone out there?

UPDATE: It's been pointed out to me that a number of readers might not have cable. (Some don't have televisions.) There are a number of sites which stream public domain movies from the 40s and 50s with more than enough titles to keep things going until we get sick of it. That might also ensure less objectionable content.

For those who subscribe to the blog through feed readers, there is a poll below which might not show up on certain readers. I know it doesn't on my Google Reader.

9 comments:

D. G. D. Davidson said...

This sounds like a great idea; only problem is I don't know if I should sign up because I don't have cable (which is why I never talk about sci-fi TV shows).

Oh, and incidentally, I'm back, got good news from the doctor, and can apparently keep typing.

EegahInc said...

That's great news about the doctor. Glad to hear that it doesn't sound like anything permanently disabling.

As for the movies, I'm not adverse to sticking to things in the public domain which are available on the internet. There's enough for years and it's all mostly from the 40s and 50s, so it would be less likely to contain anything offensive.

Christina said...

I'm in the same state as the dgd. no cable...no tv for that matter :P

BUT if it's on the net I'd be willing to review a movie or two, seeing as how you very kindly reviewed The Crawling Eye, despite the pain endured. I need to call Father to read that to him :)

EegahInc said...

I have no problem keeping things on the net. A lot of cheap 50s sci-fi was allowed to slip into the public domain so anybody can broadcast it for free. The Crawling Eye itself is available in a few places online.

Christina said...

Where? I looked but couldn't find it!

EegahInc said...

The easiest place I've found to see The Crawling Eye is at http://www.invasioncinema.com/

Mesa Of Lost Women is there too! but watch that at your own risk.

D. G. D. Davidson said...

If you used public domain films and they were available on the 'net, I'd be willing to give it a try, as long as I got to post my comments on my own blog as well.

Speaking of which, I should probably tell you now, in case you want to know, that I'm planning to do a Santa Clause Conquers the Martians theme on The Sci Fi Catholic through Advent, in case you wanted to cross swords again and review the movie during that time.

EegahInc said...

Anybody who participates is free to copy the whole post if they wish. (Link backs are always nice, of course)

I was trying to think of what movie to do for Christmas, but that one was high on the list. I'd happily take a swing at it unless you want it all for yourself. There's a surprising number of wretched holiday movies to go around.

D. G. D. Davidson said...

No way I want it all to myself. I'd love to see what you have to say about it.