Sunday, March 23, 2014

THE B-LIST: QUESTIONABLE MUSICAL MOMENTS #17 – HYSTERICAL

This week for Aleteia I toughed it out through Divergent, one of the silliest post-apocalyptic scenarios I’ve seen in a long time. Seriously, the future world of Zardoz made more sense than whatever is going on in Divergent. Sure, I’ll give them points for trying something different, but given the end result, perhaps they should have just stuck to something a little easier, like zombies maybe. You can do just about anything with zombies and have half a chance that it’ll turn out fine. Even impromptu dance numbers…

What is with zombies and ghouls always breaking out into a dance?  Well, Fr. John Hardon's Modern Catholic Dictionary tells us that “In itself dancing is perfectly licit. It may, however, become a source of evil either because of the way in which it is done or because it is an occasion of sin for some particular individual. In general, if dancing is not a proximate occasion of sin for the dancer, then it is permissible for him or her.”

Now, taking all of that into account, I’m pretty sure the dancers in this particular clip are okay because there’s nothing going on to arouse them. Well, not unless one of them has a secret fetish for the floating head of Julie Newmar, that is. Really, about the closest thing to evil in The Zomboogie is tough guy Clint Walker’s singing, and I don’t think that’s going to endanger anyone’s soul. Sanity, maybe, but not soul.

2 comments:

Rocket Scientist said...

Sanity, definitely. I feel for you, viewing these recent movies for review. They just don't make 'em like they used to. My youngest, at a (real) Catholic college, mentioned to her friends that her favorite movies as a child were Valley of Gwangi and The Mole People. They did seem a little puzzled. Not brought up right, I expect.

EegahInc said...

Gwangi! To this day I still want my very own Eohippus.