Friday, August 10, 2007

INTERMISSION



Wow, it's been a while since I stepped outside the auditorium. But who wants to? Have you checked the temperature outside lately? I don't know what it's like where you are, but my part of the world has gone all Damnation Alley like. (Hmm, should really review that one sometime.) It's just so nice and dark and cool in the theater. It's already calling to me,"Come back, coooome baaaack". But anyway, I'm in the lobby for a few minutes, and it looks like someone's left a message.

Dadwithnoisykids (he's got like thirty of them or something) over at Scorpion Stalking Duck has tagged me with the Why I Love Jesus Meme. The rules on this one are pretty simple. Those tagged will share 5 things they love about Jesus and must tag 5 other bloggers. Those tagged must provide a link in the comments box here with their name so that others can read them. Fair enough. But as my close friends already know, and what those who visit here shouldn't be surprised by, is that I can rarely make it through a single sentence without a movie reference. So with that it mind, here are my 5 Things I Love About Jesus.

(1) "Have you found Jesus yet Gump?" "I didn't know I was supposed to be looking for him sir." - Forrest Gump

I was not raised a Christian (or anything else for that matter). I can count on my fingers the number of times I attended a church service during my pre-adolescent days. But once I finally went looking for God, imagine my surprise to find out that He had been there all along, close by, laying the groundwork for our first official face-to-face meeting. And he did the same thing for each and every member of my family in there own due time. I love Jesus because He's always there, whether we know it or not.

(2) “Dear Lord baby Jesus, we thank you so much for this bountiful harvest of Dominos, KFC, and the always delicious Taco Bell. I just want to take time to say thank you for my family. My two sons, Walker, and Texas Ranger, or TR as we call him. And of course my red hot smokin' wife Carley, who is a stone cold fox." - Talladega Nights

In middle school, when I finally became a Christian and started my journey into the Church, my beginners prayers were not what you would call eloquent. It went something like, "Thank you Lord, for everything." I still trot that old prayer out every now and then, although it has a much deeper meaning to me these days as I've come to understand that "everything" doesn't just include the good stuff I've been given. I love Jesus for teaching me to be thankful for everything.

(3) "O God, ease our suffering in this, our moment of great dispair. Yea, admit this kind and decent woman into thy arms of thine heavenly area, up there. And Moab, he lay us upon the band of the Canaanites, and yea, though the Hindus speak of karma, I implore you: give her a break." "Clark..." "Honey, I'm not an ordained minister; I'm doing my best." - National Lampoon's Vacation

I didn't start out very eloquent as a Christian, and I ain't much better now. I love Jesus because He's able to work with what He's got.

(4) "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball" "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Major League

The spiritual journey can be bumpy sometimes. I actually jumped ship from the Church in my late teens and didn't come back for almost two decades. My second (and final) time entering the Church was less emotional and much more intellectual than the first time around. I love Jesus because He let's us ask the hard questions. And He has answers.

(5) "Hey Ray. Do you believe in God?" "Never met him." "Yeah, well I do. And I love Jesus's style, you know." - Ghostbusters

Once you're in, and you're open to it, it can be surprising where the Spirit leads you. Especially when it comes to opportunities to share the faith. Back in the late 90s, right before I started to figure out there was something to this whole organized religion thing, I had developed a rather nasty attitude towards the current crop of high schoolers. I thought they were lost, hopeless, spoiled, arrogant, filthy... well, you get the idea. Basically I couldn't stand to be anywhere within earshot of even one of them. A few years ago the head of religious education at my parish told me she wanted me to work with a group she had discerned I was perfect for. Guess which one? I love Jesus because He's smarter than I am.

Well, that's probably more than dadwithnoisykids was expecting. I would imagine he, along with anyone else who hung on till the end of this, may have a movie quote of their own in mind.

"At no point, in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul." - Billy Madison

Probably time to head back into the theater where I belong.

(Oh, as for passing this along. After checking around, I'm pretty sure the handful of bloggers I've become acquainted with over the past few months have already been tagged. So, in a total cop out, I tag the first 5 people who read my blog but never leave comments.)

5 comments:

Wm. said...

Absolutely brilliant.

EegahInc said...

Alright, you've known me for over 20 years. You know better than that.

Actually, the most brilliant thing I did in this post was replace some of the quotes that first came to mind. Somehow "You said it, man. Nobody f**** with the Jesus." from the Big Lebowski just seemed inappropriate.

Wm. said...

I meant it. Anytime I try to stuff like this it comes out so forced.

dadwithnoisykids said...

Excellent. I actually saw Shock Waves many many years ago...thanks for the meme reply.

EegahInc said...

dadwithnoisykids,

I'm glad you enjoyed my response. You saw Shock Waves? That's the second obscure movie I've reviewed that I now know you've seen. I'm starting to get the impression that before you came under the conviction to get rid of the TV sets you just might have been something of a bad movie aficionado yourself.