Wednesday, October 17, 2007

SHORT FEATURE: MELIES' TALES OF TERROR



Here's a little something silent but (cartoonishly) violent from 1903.

Kind of leaves you speechless for a moment, doesn't it? Well, don't lose your head over it. Just recall the little quote from St. John Vianney in the Catechism which reminds us that we don't always need words. "My God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love you, I want my heart to repeat it to you as often as I draw breath."

(Is it possible I just used a passage from the Catechism's section on the theological virtue of hope just so I could mention that the word is out Pope Benedict XVI has completed his second encyclical which appears to be a meditation on Christian hope? Hmm, could be.)


6 comments:

D. G. D. Davidson said...

You keep managing to creep me out with those.

EegahInc said...

What gets me is that this collection of shorts is over 100 years old and still looks better than a lot of stuff on the Sci-Fi channel.

Archistrategos said...

I just found a site that I think you would enjoy a lot.

http://www.publicdomaintorrents.com

Check out the sci-fi/fantasy section and be amazed! Hehehe :D

EegahInc said...

Thanks for the heads up. There's just hours and hours of pain there to be had, even quite a few I haven't seen yet. Yet.

They even have The Impossible Kid, which is a sequel to For Your Height Only. If you guessed that's a Filipino kung fu movie starring 2' 9" Weng Weng as Agent 00, a secret agent who wears a white disco suit and is irresistible to women... you guessed right. It's worth the download.

Miguel Cuthbert said...

It seems to be that people in 1903 were almost as morbid as today and twice as spritely (especially after death).

EegahInc said...

Well, you know, television wasn't around until the late 30s and McDonalds didn't open for business until the 40s; "spritely" wasn't as hard to achieve back then.