Tuesday, December 04, 2007

INTERMISSION: FOR WHOM THE MEME TOLLS

when eight bells toll 320x240Yes, I know I just took an intermission a couple of days ago in order to complain about the whole Golden Compass hubbub, but just as I was settling back down in the auditorium, something else came up.

Father Tim from The Spirit of Vatican 2 "Catholic" Faith Community has tagged me with yet another meme. This time around it's the "8 Random Facts" one. The rules call for each tagged person to post 8 random facts/habits about themselves along with these guidelines. At the end of the post, they are to choose 8 people to be tagged and list their names. I have to assume, since I'm on SOV2's banned list, that this is somehow meant to be a form of penance as I'm now forced to try and answer this meme while staying in character. Let's give it a try.

  1. That little guy up in the corner of my blog is the vicious Zuni Fetish Doll from the 1975 made for TV movie Trilogy of Terror. As a child it alternatingly filled me with dread and made me laugh hysterically. It's one of the things I credit with making me a lifetime fan of B-Movies.
  2. Oddly enough, other than the news, I actually watch very little television programming. Instead, I average 2-3 movies a day. Occasionally, one of them is good. (Portable DVD player; one of the best Father's Day gifts ever!)
  3. One of my favorite movies about Jesus is 2000's The Miracle Maker, the story of the gospels told almost entirely in claymation. Absolutely brilliant.
  4. The first movie I ever saw with my wife was Hellraiser. (Considering the nature of this blog, how's that for some Gen-X irony?) Believe it or not, she's the one who chose it.
  5. For awhile as a teenager, I attended the Church of the Nazarene, a denomination which at the time preached against going to the movies. After church one Sunday evening, I and about 10 other kids slipped off for a late showing of Friday The 13th Part V. Do you know where your youth group is tonight? (Would it be in bad taste to also bring up the time I ran into one of the deacons at an afternoon matinee of the Dirty Harry flick Sudden Impact?)
  6. I love my country, but I won't lie. Anytime I watch King Kong vs. Godzilla I secretly root for the Japanese monster to win.
  7. Back in elementary school I was once dropped off by myself for a matinee of the re-release of Disney's In Search Of The Castaways (adapted from Jules Verne's The Children of Captain Grant). There was a mix-up and nobody realized I hadn't been picked up until after the theater had closed. I ended up watching the movie five times that day while living off of popcorn and Sugar Babies. My parents were scarred for life. I, however, wanted to do it again the next week.
  8. I'd burn every film I own if I ever fell under the conviction of the Holy Spirit to do so. They're just movies, folks. They may give us memories which last a lifetime, but there are other more important things which last forever.

Whew. I made it. Now it really is time to get back in the theater. As for passing along the meme, well I just don't get out that much and probably only know bloggers who have already been tagged. Eight, hmm? Let's see. Figure eight as double four, figure four as half of eight. If you skate, you would be great, if you could make a figure eight. That's a circle that turns 'round upon itself. Place it on its side and it's a symbol meaning Infinity...

Yeah, that's it. I tag everybody.

6 comments:

Wm. said...

I just got that out and listened to it recently. Some songs have seasons, and that song is a true "winter" favorite.

Anonymous said...

I'm also a huge fan of old b-movies, but find the frequent racism can make me wince. On the other hand, as I mentioned to my wife, who happens to be african-american, the crazed african dance in King Kong doesn't seem that far away from hip-hop.

EegahInc said...

Three and Eight can still bring a lump to my throat after all these years. I love me some Schoolhouse Rock.

Hi capatosta, thanks for dropping in and leaving a note. If you've poked around the site a little, you've probably noticed the cartoons I link too. There have been a number of times I've run across some brilliantly conceived toons from the 30s which would fit my theme for the week, but didn't feel comfortable posting them because the bigotry was way too overt. Hard to believe that was only a few short generations ago. Maybe I should review Brother From Another Planet sometime.

Anonymous said...

It's not every day I see a blog with John Agar and Pope John Paul II on the same page. I also have struggled with my religion and my movie lust ( I even use a movie character for my password)- I feel like I should be watching Vittorio De Sica more and Roger Corman less.

Have you seen "The Ninth Configuration" with its old movie references?

The Digital Hairshirt said...

The zuni fetish doll - is that the same one who chased Karen Black through the apartment? Dude, I loved that! I can still do the sound he made.

(I am told my Godzilla is impeccable as well . . .)

EegahInc said...

SA Capatosta,

Less Corman! Perish the thought. How about you split the difference and watch his 1962 movie The Intruder. That way you get Corman and a serious art film all in one.

Digi,

That is indeed the little guy who tormented Karen Black. Yiyiyiyiyiyi!