Wednesday, September 05, 2007

SHORT FEATURE: SWING YOU SINNERS!



Paragraph 1021 of the Catechism reminds us that "The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith." In honor of Going To Hell Week here at the B-Movie Catechism we give you the 1930 Max Fleischer classic Swing You Sinners! in which Bimbo receives his just rewards. In song no less.

You're so wicked baby, and you're depraved
You can rave
It's apparent that you have misbehaved
To your grave
But if you should wanna be saved
Jus' behave
Swing you sinners!

10 comments:

D. G. D. Davidson said...

I'm going to stand by my earlier statement. Those old cartoons are weird. I'm going to have to go get something from Snuffles's anime collection to recover.

EegahInc said...

Oh sure, because nothing says normalcy like Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Miguel Cuthbert said...

Eegah,

Now I know where the Heffalump imagery comes from in Walt's Winnie the Pooh. Thank goodness Swing You Sinners wasn't in color.

Miguel

Mr. Doob said...

Psychedelic before it was vogue.

Snuffles the Dragon said...

Eegahinc, did you just diss the Bo-nifide Bo-tector of Hair? This I will not take!

EegahInc said...

My apologies, Snuffles, if my phrasing came across as an insult to the Fist of The Nosehair, as none was intended. I was merely questioning the consistency of D. G. D.'s comment, something which I believe you yourself have done on occasion. (Note to readers: Appeasing a super intelligent nebula from an alternate universe seems like a sensible course of action to me.)

Snuffles the Dragon said...

I've never known D. G. D. to be consistent with his comments.

Y'know, the likes of H. P. Lovecraft and company might have given you the mistaken impression that being a super-intelligent nebula from an alternate universe is awesome. Well, it is...but then you come to this universe for a vacation and suddenly you're a stuffed dragon toy with less than a thousandth of your former power and no way to get back home. Anyhow, I've taken to the dragon thing pretty well. I've got the hoarding-gold-and-virgins schtick down crazy-good.

Will Cubbedge said...

That was one of the darkest, most nightmarish things I've ever seen.

And I've seen The Beast of Yucca Flats.

WAC

EegahInc said...

Hi will,

Thanks for dropping by. Always glad to welcome a fellow survivor of Yucca Flats. (Which is another movie I should review, but as yet, it defies all my efforts to drag meaning from it.)

Will Cubbedge said...

Man, I watched it five times. I wasn't able to get through the thing awake until the 5th showing.

WAC