Saturday, September 26, 2015

PEANUTIZE THYSELF!

By now, I’m sure you’ve all seen images from the Get Peanutized! website popping up everywhere in celebration of the upcoming Peanuts Movie. Well, since I’m a movie kind of guy, I thought I would give it a spin…

profile-picture-1443063492

I don’t know, something’s missing. Maybe it’s the mustache. After all, I started growing the thing when I was fourteen and I’ve only shaved it off once in my life at the request of a girlfriend (something she immediately regretted, naturally). So, let’s try adding that in…

profile-picture-1443063493

Not bad, but still not quite there. I just can’t put my finger on what it could be. Oh wait! Now I know…

profile-picture-1443063494

Perfect.

Hey, it’s like the old Delphic Maxim said, “Know thyself.” Of course, since that was just two words inscribed on a temple wall, the maxim wasn’t exactly long on explaining why such self-knowledge is important.

For the Catechism, self awareness is a necessary part of being able to properly live a holy life. “It is important for every person to be sufficiently present to himself in order to hear and follow the voice of his conscience. This requirement of interiority is all the more necessary as life often distracts us from any reflection, self-examination or introspection: Return to your conscience, question it… Turn inward, brethren, and in everything you do, see God as your witness.”

So, go forth and Peanutize thyself. Just, you know, keep it honest.

No comments: