Wednesday, January 09, 2019

DAILY CALL SHEET: JANUARY 9, 2019

Deep Red

Deep Red (1975) Beautiful, bloody, and with some fantastic WTF moments. What was with that doll anyway? Definitely among Argento's best. TIL: Argento's style is often described as Baroque which, having been raised Italian Catholic, I suppose he comes by honestly.

My Name is Bruce (2008)

Still Voices - My Name is Bruce (2008) "The only tyrant I accept in this world is the 'still small voice' within me.” - Mahatma Gandhi

Curtis Mayfield - Roots

Dad Rock Daily: Curtis Mayfield - Roots (1971) Not held in quite as much regard as its predecessor, but no way it's not among his best. Absolutely cool and soulful. Laudable Lyrics: Most of your life can be out of sight, withdraw from the darkness and look to the light.

Now Showing Marquee 4

And finally, as I made mention of yesterday, the director whose movies I watched the most of in 2018 turned out to be none other than Alfred Hitchcock. I had considered jotting down a few thoughts on how Hitch’s Catholic upbringing affected his work, but really, that’s ground well covered. If you’re interested, here’s a good sampling of articles on the subject:

Hitchcock’s most Catholic films - Deacon Steven D. Greydanus

The Catholic Imagination of Alfred Hitchcock - Sean Salai, S.J.

Hitchcock’s Catholicism: The Final MacGuffin? – K. V. Turley

When Alfred Hitchcock Cried After Receiving Holy Communion - Kathy Schiffer

No comments: