Sunday, July 14, 2024

DAILY CALL SHEET: JULY 14, 2024

 

Longlegs (2024) A disturbed FBI agent pursues a Satan-worshiping serial killer, or is he pursuing her? I get the hype, I really do. The acting is spot-on and the film maintains an uncomfortable level of creepiness all the way through, but... I guess I've seen too many of these things. Ten minutes in and I knew almost to a beat how the rest of the film was going to play out. Worse, the final two minutes contain one of the dumbest decisions by a main character I've seen in a movie in ages, one that irritates me so much I can't rate this any higher than average.

TIL: In a 2012 article for Psychology Today, Katherine Ramsland Ph.D. suggests that serial killers who were known to have dabbled in the occult did so out of a malignant narcissism. They "each had developed a sense that exercising the ultimate power yielded secret knowledge and made them special." To Catholic ears, this sounds a lot like an extreme version of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sins, Pride, the excessive love of one's own excellence.

I HAVE SOME NOTES: More not-so-serious notes on my daily Scripture readings.




No comments: