Friday, June 15, 2018

DAILY CALL SHEET: JUNE 15, 2018

Funeral Home

Funeral Home (1980) Teen helps grandma convert the local lich-house into a B&B, because who wouldn't want to overnight in such a place. Somebody decides to pull a Norman Bates. TIL: Christian funerals are grounded not in death, but in resurrection and ascension. So, not all sad.

Evil Laugh

Your daily dose of culture courtesy of Evil Laugh (1986) - “When you need an answer, look over your left shoulder and ask your death.” - Carlos Castaneda

Now Showing Marquee 6

As I’ve noted over the past week, I’m deep into a Babylon 5 binge. That’s not the only show available out there right now, though. Over at The Catholic World Report, Thomas P. Harmon has recently finished running through Netflix’s reboot of Lost in Space and finds it a good watch. He writes…

“Science fiction, at its best, does two things. First, it probes our relationship with technology. Second, in common with the Western’s exploration of frontiers, by putting us into unfamiliar settings it can show the contours of our problems, shining a new light on them or framing them in a way that allows us to see them clearly. Netflix’s Lost in Space does both these things well.”

Okay, if he says so. Just saying I could nitpick if I was so inclined. Still, while I’m not quite as big on the show as Harmon, I didn’t hate myself for watching it and will definitely be back for Season 2. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Joseph R. said...

I'm only three episodes into Netflix's Lost in Space. So far there is zero commentary or exploration of our relationship to technology. I guess there's more to come? I didn't read the Catholic World Report article for fear of spoilers, but will check it out when I have finished the series.

I do agree that sci fi is good at presenting ideas or problems in a new framework, thus providing new insights. There's not much of that yet--the daughter's PTSD, the semi-divorced state of the parents. Nothing too deep yet. I need to get going on the rest of the series.